Presenters: Annie McCluskey, occupational therapist and Karl Schurr, physiotherapist, The StrokeEd Collaboration, Australia
Website information: http://strokeed.com/about-workshops/evidence-based-upper-limb-retraining/
About the Presenters: http://strokeed.com/presenters/
Learning objectives: By the end of the 3 days, participants will be able to:
- Name the essential components of normal reach and manipulation
- Recognise common compensations when observing stroke survivors attempting to grasp objects, and explain how to minimise compensatory strategies
- Name and discuss factors thought to contribute to the development of muscle overactivity, spasticity and stiffness, and intervention strategies to help minimise these secondary problems
- Explain the relationship and differences between overactivity, spasticity, muscle length changes and stiffness, missing essential components and compensations
- Plan and conduct an assessment and training session with a stroke survivor using motor learning principles and task-specific practice
- Discuss factors which affect motor learning, and can be modified to enhance learning and increase client practice
- Use an electrical stimulation machine to stimulate upper limb muscles.
- Discuss current evidence for constraint-induced movement therapy, mental practice, mirror box therapy and electrical stimulation for improving upper limb motor recovery
Pre-requisites: Registrants must hold a current registration with the Occupational Therapy Board of NZ or the Physiotherapy Board of NZ to work with stroke survivor participants during the clinical sessions. Registrants must also have had at least two COVID-19 vaccinations.
Target Audience: Suitable for students, recent graduates and experienced clinicians.
Number of registrants: Limited to 24 therapists because there are clinical sessions involving 8 stroke survivors and small groups of 3 therapists. The workshop presenters assist teams of therapists to assess and establish a training program for the 8 stroke survivors.
Cost: $830 AUD (for internal registrants/ employee of Wellington/ Lower Hutt DHB) – $850 AUD for external registrants (Approx $900-$940 NZD depending on the exchange rate at the time of payment)
“Lecture only” option available for $400 AUD (17 & 18 Nov), which includes attendance at Day 1 lectures, including observing 2 demonstration assessment/training sessions, and morning lectures on Day 2 including observing review of clients trained on Day 1, plus the full manual and catering.
Pre-reading & homework: will be available from the StrokeEd website. Therapists are asked to start preparing 4-6 weeks before the event. Allow several hours for the homework. Pre-reading includes a book chapter and some analysis tasks. .
Workshop manual including the PowerPoint slides and worksheets will be provided in both PDF and hard (printed) copy.
Contact for enquiries: Dr. Annie McCluskey – firstname.lastname@example.org
To register: Please complete the registration form (see below) for each therapist who wishes to attend, and email the completed form to email@example.com. We will then send you an invoice to pay via international bank transfer.
Download registration form here: Registration-form-NZ-workshops (updated)