Presenters: Annie McCluskey, occupational therapist and Karl Schurr, physiotherapist, The StrokeEd Collaboration, Australia
Website information: https://strokeed.com/about-workshops/evidence-based-upper-limb-retraining/
About the Presenters: https://strokeed.com/presenters/
Learning objectives: By the end of the 3 days, participants will be able to:
- Name the essential components of normal reach and manipulation
- Recognise common compensations when observing stroke survivors attempting to grasp objects, and explain how to minimise compensatory strategies
- Name and discuss factors thought to contribute to the development of muscle overactivity, spasticity and stiffness, and intervention strategies to help minimise these secondary problems
- Explain the relationship and differences between overactivity, spasticity, muscle length changes and stiffness, missing essential components and compensations
- Plan and conduct an assessment and training session with a stroke survivor using motor learning principles and task-specific practice
- Discuss factors which affect motor learning, and can be modified to enhance learning and increase client practice
- Use an electrical stimulation machine to stimulate upper limb muscles.
- Discuss current evidence for constraint-induced movement therapy, mental practice, mirror box therapy and electrical stimulation for improving upper limb motor recovery
Pre-requisites: AHPRA registration. Suitable for students, recent graduates and experienced clinicians.
Vaccination: Proof of at least two COVID-19 vaccinations (in line with QH guidelines) to enter the health facility and attend the workshop
Number of registrants: Limited to 24 therapists because there are clinical sessions involving 8 stroke survivors and small groups of 3 therapists. The workshop presenters assist teams of therapists to assess and establish a training program for the 8 stroke survivors.
Pre-reading & homework: will be available from the StrokeEd website. Therapists are asked to start preparing 4-6 weeks before the event. Allow several hours for the homework. Pre-reading includes a book chapter and some analysis tasks. .
Workshop manual including the PowerPoint slides and worksheets will be provided in both PDF and hard (printed) copy.
Registration Fee: $990 inc gst
Enquiries and registration: https://alliancerehab.com.au/events/upper-limb-retraining/
Contact: Luke Smart